14. Letter to various brethren dated 01-04-2002 (18-01-1423). “It is not the blindness of the eyes but the blindness of the hearts that are in the bosom” (22:46) which causes disputes. The letter argues on the need for a sin free calendar according to the Qur’aanic principles with numerous illustration of incongruity.
Adddressed to all Brethren
I am sending three different versions of the Islamic calendar. Our astronomers prepare all these calendars.
THREE VERSIONS OF THE ISALAMIC CALENDAR
How can Islam have three different calendars?
New Ummul Qura cal Khalid Shaukat’s cal Original Ummul Qura cal
Wrong calendar1 Wrg cal.2 New moon H: M Correct calendar
01.01.1423=15.03.02.Fri 16-03-02.Sa 14-03-02 02:02 15-03-02.Fri
01.02.1423=14.04.02.Sun 14-04-02.Sun 12-04-02 19:21 13-04-02Sat
01.03.1423=13.05.02.Mon 14-05-02.Tue 12-05-02 10:45 13-05-02.Mon
01.04.1423=12.06.02.Wed 12-06-02.Wed 10-06-02 23:46 11-06-02.Tue
01.05.1423=11.07.02.Thu 12-07-02.Fri 10-07-02 10:26 11-07-02.Thu
01.06.1423=09.08.02.Fri 10-08-02.Sat 08-08-02 19:15 09-08-02.Fri
01.07.1423=08.09.02.Sun 08-09-02.Sun 07-09-02 03:10 08-09-02.Sun
01.08.1423=07.10.02.Mon 08-10-02.Tue 06-10-02 11:17 07-10-02.Mon
01.09.1423=06.11.02.Wed 06-11-02.Wed 04-11-02 20:34 05-11-02.Tue
01.10.1423=05.12.02.Thu 06-12-02.Fri 04-12-02 07:34 05-12-02.Thu
01.11.1423=04.01.03.Sat 04-01-03.Sat 02-01-03 20:23 03-01-03.Fri
01.12.1423=03.02.03.Mon 03-02-03.Mon 01-02-03 10:48 02-02-03.Sun
Observation of the waning phases of the moon for the month of Muharram gave the following result. At the Fajre of Wednesday the crescent was thin and it was easily visible. On 28th, Thursday morning it was not visible at Pavaratty even though it rose before the Sun. The invisibility of the crescent on the morning of 28th confirmed that it would not be visible at Fajre on Friday the 29th. The Moon was very close to the Sun even though it rose before the Sun. During the course of Friday the Moon overtook the Sun and set after the Sun before the end of Friday prayers in the world. But the Hilal was not visible. When we know the presence of the Hilal on the western horizon can the addition of one more day to the month be justified? Who can say that Rasoolullah has not taught this when he said: “La thasoomoo hatta tharouhu”?
Certainly Saturday is the First of Safar 1423 according to the naked eye observation of the Ahillat of the Moon. Calendars that give Sunday as the first of Safar are wrong.
Some important questions
1. Do the Ulema argue that Islam has no calendar?
2. Is the Hijra Calendar baseless, unpredictable and impracticable in the use of our day-to-day life in this world?
3. Is the Hijra Calendar inferior to the other calendars that exist in the world today?
4. Can the Muslims adopt the Gregorian calendar and use the Gregorian dates, which have no connection with the moon?
5. Can a child be born on two or three dates, in other words can a month begin on two or three days? For example: Shawwal first on Saturday, Shawwal first on Sunday and Shawwal first on Monday?
6. If a person was born on Monday the 12th of Rabiul Awwal 53 years before Hijrat and passed away on Monday the12th of Rabiul Awwal 11 year after Hijrat how long did he live?
7. What is the use of the eclipses for the people? What do they indicate?
8. What is the scientific measure (29 or 30) of Ramadan of 1422H (From what day to what day?)
9. What day is the first of Zul Hajj1423H?
10. Is there is any objection in the Islamic Shariah in fixing our programs in advance? Should we wait till we see the Hilal on the 29th to begin a new month? Can we not fix the day of Eidul Adha 1423H in advance. Should we put the common man into embarrassment due to our meaningless disputes over the dates?
Even the laymen could check the lunar dates without any difficulty if they spent some time for watching the moon.
Please send this message to all brethren. Let us not repeat the same mistake of celebrating the Eid on three days once again. The fast on the Eid Day is forbidden in the Shariah.
Ali Manikfan, Advisor, Hijra Committee of India